As you may or may not know, I talked my way into doing a 6th grade project to challenge my daughter. You can read more about that here if you haven’t already.
To summarize: My 6th grade daughter needed some motivation to put more effort into a school project, so I’m doing it too. We have to create an alien, write a paper on it, create a 3D model, and write a short speech that persuades our classmates (or in this case, you guys) to let the alien stay on Earth. I will need you guys to judge between my daughter’s project and mine. Her school project is due Jan. 18th, so we’re setting our date out a little further.
To judge us: Come back on/after Jan. 26th. I will post both of our projects and set up a poll for you to judge us based on the same criteria for her class. In the post where I told you all about this debacle, I also mentioned doing a link-up/giveaway type of dealio for those that want to play along, because I’m fucking awesome like that.
To participate: Answer all of the questions below and write a short “convincing statement” (that can be included in your answers if you want). You can link up a post, send them to me in an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or just leave your answers in the comments (if you want to play, but not defile your blog with this nonsense. Or just don’t have a blog.) These are from her school paper, so feel free to tailor them to suit your adult needs — within reason. (My daughter will be helping judge any entries from you, so keep the probing to minimum detail. Swearing and weirdness is fine. She is mine, after-all…)
- Alien’s name
- Home Planet
- We are humans. What is your alien?
- Define what you think an alien is.
- How did you meet your alien?
- What is your alien’s favorite meal?
- How would you say “I am your friend” in its alien language?
- How do you communicate with each other since you do not speak the same language?
- What would your alien learn in its alien school on his/her home planet?
- If your alien were on Earth and you wanted to keep it hidden, where would be the best hiding place for it? Why would you hide it there?
- What would you say to your mom/dad to persuade them to let you keep your alien?
- Describe your alien’s homeland or planet.
- Are there any benefits for humans and aliens to become friends? (For example: Do they have something we’d like to trade for? Technology or flying saucers? Rare gems? Secrets to world peace?)
- You discover that this alien has the makings of a perfect friend for 6th graders. Describe the characteristics that make him/her a good friend.
- I left out the last one because it’s dumb and I didn’t want to subject you to any more of this crap than necessary. You’re welcome.
You have until January 27th at midnight to enter (a little over a week and a half). If you feel like delving further into this ordeal, you are more than welcome to write a story or create a 3D model for “extra credit” as well.
First prize will be whatever random weird stuff I decide to shove in a box for you (because I haven’t exactly figured that part out yet), and a banner ad above my header. The ad will be 468×60 pixels, will run throughout the month of February, and can link to whatever the hell you want it to.
…and since I don’t sell ad-space, I’m going to value a month’s worth at $4,732.09* because I can.
Second prize will be something else, completely undetermined at this time. I’m thinking a 2 weeks of ad space in March and some random thing that I have yet to discover also? (Oh my gosh, this sounds so covincing!) I’m also open to suggestions.
Third prize and beyond (if that many people even enter) will be some terrific badges for your blog/page/printing pleasure if you choose to accept it. If you can’t use that, we’ll come up with something else. And possibly something small and awesome in the mail if I can afford it.
Winners will be announced somewhere on my blog (and notified, obviously) sometime on or before Tuesday, January 29th.
Don’t forget to come back & judge me after the 26th. I’ll give you all the time in the world for that one.
(Shit. I still haven’t even started this!)
Update: because of our unplanned vacation (aka: the plague), we’ve decided to extend the contest a week. You now have until February 3rd at midnight PST to enter. Our projects will be up before next weekend.